Goals of This Workshop
This one-day workshop will bring together UbiComp researchers, medical professionals, developers, designers and other stakeholders to share knowledge and improve practice in the design of wearable technologies for enhanced personal health care. We will examine key obstacles, concerns and issues, and seek strategies for refining theory and improving both design practice and research methodologies. Particular attention will be paid to finding ways to empower individuals to take personal control of their personal health devices and systems, and to improve their own health.
Potential Topics for this workshop
- User studies of current digital technology adoption and engagement for chronic conditions.
- Methods of prototyping, evaluating, assessing wearability and usability of IoPH systems.
- Interface design for IoPH systems.
- Data structures and methods for integrating and analyzing diverse personal data.
- The role of behavior change models in IoPH design.
- Embedding autonomy, personalization and customization into IoPH systems.
- The benefits and limitations of AI, analytics and machine learning in health management.
- Novel methods of capturing user data.
- Privacy and Security for personal health data.
- Mapping and exploring the ecosystems of user/devices interactions.
9:00-9:45: Introduction, presentation of schedule, and identifying the key objectives for workshop.
10:00-12:30 Short presentations of the accepted materials from all participants.
12:30-1:30 Lunch Break
1:30-1:45 Introduction to the Design Fiction, a method of using stories to experiment with new or imagined technologies and their social implications.
1:45-2:45 Participants will form small groups, working together to create short stories using Design Fiction methodology. The focus will be on future IoPH systems in the context of chronic conditions and life events.
3:15-4:30 Presentation and discussion of key ideas emerging from Design Fiction segment.
4:45-5:45 Group discussion on likely directions of research based on presentations and Design Fictions. Identify future action.
5:45-6:30 Open discussion and networking
- Curate Alt.chi paper describing concepts that emerged from workshop, and a roadmap of future approaches for research.
- Create online forum, allowing an informal and inclusive exchange of ideas and experiences with development and implementation of IoPH systems. This site will also serve to identify potential funding sources, and support multi-partner interdisciplinary grant applications.
- All accepted papers will be submitted for inclusion in the ACM Digital Library and supplemental proceedings of the conference.